Monday, September 24, 2012

Hibernation

Did you know that the continuous brain recordings that led to the discovery of REM (Rapid Eye Movement) sleep were not done until 1953 - partly because the scientists involved were concerned about wasting paper?

According to the Australian National Sleep Project .. this is a fact.





They also say that ducks can sleep with only half their brain while the other half is alert for predators.

AND they say that before electric light the average person moderated their sleep naturally by sunrise and sunset - no surprise there. But it means they actually slept ten hours a night - that's almost two hours longer than we consider normal sleeping hours. Do we deserve less sleep because we're so evolved we don't have to get up with the sun or be in bed by dark?

Did you also know that the hour gained each fall in Canada (for day light savings time) usually coincides with a reduction of traffic accidents? Coincidence - I think not!

I say this fall we turn back our clocks and TAKE BACK that hour of sleep. go on.. turn the clock back and pretend you didn't.

I did it one year and have to say it ROCKED.

I'd be going to bed at ten instead of eleven waking up at six instead of seven.. and all day I felt way awesome. I'd use that extra hour in the morning and do my laundry, clean the bathroom, one hideous mundane chore a day... then let myself relax at night.. and by the time the weekend came around - all my regular chores were done and I could play with projects and festivals and well, just play. I think that was the year I made a quincy village in my backyard for the dog...

Where is all this sleep talking coming from?...

Last week drained my entire self of any and all energy.

I didn't realize how much until I got home Friday night, and by eight o'clock my head was on the pillow, and my eyes stopped reading the pages.

I woke up sixteen hours later.  SIXTEEN HOURS LATER?!!??!?  Yes.

I slept that long. I NEVER sleep that long unless I'm sick.

I was stunned. But there it was.

I woke up got some massive cleaning done... and by nine oclock THAT night I was falling asleep at the computer again.

I basically spent the weekend hibernating. Do I feel any better for it? No.

Bleh.

Hey... does anyone here follow someone on Twitter JUST so you can get that thrill in your mailbox that "Gerard Butler has a Tweet for you"... *sigh*...


Sadly...

←...not a Twit...that I've found anyway.














Summer is Obviously over...we have COLD rainy fall weather now. I'm glad for the rain (this summer's drought was SCARY) but it makes me ick.


Oh, but I have noticed that all the local produce at the grocery store and farmer's market is eensy weensy.

And we completely skipped corn on the cob season.


Sad.

That's really all I have to say...

13 comments:

  1. 1. He is so...cute does not cover it. Tasty. Yes. that will do.
    2. The punkins are supposed to be really tasty [there's that word again] this Fall because of the drought. I am writing a blog with recipes.
    3. Rain puts me right to sleep.
    4. I like your plan. I don't know why we fleck with the clocks in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I slept when it was dark....I'd be sleeping more than I'm awake because in the winter it's only light for about 5 hours lol
    We don't have daylight savings time in Saskatchewan. What should I do?
    I slept so hard that around 9am I awoke with a start and gasp...sure I was dead lol
    I have not noticed small veggies.
    There is a sign about 4 blocks away that says there's fresh corn at Canadian Tire.
    We don't have rain yet. We have turning leaves though.
    Twitter has stopped sending me emails. They say my email is wrong. It is not wrong. By the way....I am on twitter mainly for football. Beware.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am exhausted today. I left work after working 10 hours because I didn't feel like working anymore. I did get all my reports for the week done though so I must have been productive ...

    I think I'm coming down with a cold. Daylight savings time isn't until December 4th this year ... That seems late. I checked this morning because I wanted an extra hour of sleep - lol ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have to wait until DECEMBER to get our hour back?!?!???.... Noooo..

      I have had ten hour days where I walk away and wonder what exactly I accomplished.. so GOOD for you!

      Delete
  4. I'm in bed right now. It's 9:54 pm. Typing on my iPod is hateful. Last night we had a frost. First one this fall, kinda late. Nice.

    Bed. Thunk! I want that hammock ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want it too.. we haven't had frost yet.. but it's close. I refuse to put the heat on though until November.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in bed, too, but it's one minute to midnight and I'm about to turn in. Oops, it's midnight now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. p.s.: I really like the light and airiness in that loft, but boy, it sure is empty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought that too...!

      When I move to my storage bin in Pickle Lake it will be clutter free. Or at least that's the plan... maybe I'll have two bins.. one for me .. and the other for my clutter.

      Delete